This is a diary so to speak. Documenting the outdoor activities I enjoy. Currently I'm trying to master windsurfing so that subject will be covered extensively. If you read this don't expect award winning writing as it was never really a strong point for me. You may however find a cool photo or two.

Most photos can be enlarged by clicking and feel free to leave a comment.


Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Green Skies

Dave called Tuesday around quitting time to see if I was up for a session. Winds were blowing steady out of the SE 20 to 23 at the closest sensor to his house. I had to beg off due to sinus problems from all the pine pollen I inhaled working last Friday. I did warn him to keep a wary eye to the sky if he ventured out.

An hour later my neighborhood was in the crosshairs of tornadic thunderstorm. Funnel clouds had been spotted, damage was reported, the radar was showing a classic hook echo and Doppler was indicating strong mid level rotation and no sign of weakening. You didn't have to have all that information to know something was up. One look outside and you could tell bad things could happen at any moment. The swirling clouds and green skies were all the indicators you would need. I've heard of the green sky phenomenon but I never actually experienced it until now. It was certainly eerie. We did get a really strong blast of wind and quiet a bit of dime to nickle sized hail. Thankfully we didn't have to go see the wizard.

The curious person I am just had to go out and snap some photos and here they are.

No color enhancement. Too bad they don't do it justice.






This is a poor shot of what was either a dissipating or forming funnel

No comments: